Wednesday 8 December 2010

Maybe it's not just the illness

I've been thinking about how being ill has effected the way I think about myself.  I think I've been convincing myself that all of the crap in my life is because I am sick. 


I became homeless because of illness...indirectly.  I was getting crap from housemates at a time where I just couldn't cope.  A lot of the hassle they were giving me was about the fact that I couldn't cope (and that me coping would make it all better), so it just hit a raw nerve.  I was being told that I was perpetuating my illness at the same time the medical profession were making out everything was  psychological.  It was just too much.  I need to remind myself that this is less about the illness itself and more about the things I have learned about other people and the medical profession.  That's something I can learn from, illness is something I don't have so much control over.


I have been feeling as though my life is empty.   Comparatively, it is.  I can't work and my social life is greatly restricted.  I am barely able to practice my musical instrument.  Everything I do has repercussions, right down to making a cup of tea.  But, I am also staying in someone elses pocket.  I don't have access to my books, cds, dvds etc.  My life would be just as restricted as it is now, but it fulfilling be a hell of a lot less boring and a lot more fulfilling if I had these things.


I have been feeling unattractive.  Again, I came here with a weeks worth of things.  I had one pair of comfy, ripped jeans.  I have bought a few things but I just don't have access to all my nice clothes, and everyone needs a bit of vanity don't they?  The other thing is that, I have lost a lot of muscle mass meaning I'm a bit flabby.  I also spend a lot of time sitting down.  If I had more clothing to choose from, I wouldn't be stuck with the stuff that doesn't fit so well.  


The overall stress of being homeless is really taking a toll on me.  I keep contacting the housing association but to no avail.  If I didn't have so much bureacracy to deal with, if I had more time and space to rest, I think I would feel better illness wise too.


Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment