Sunday 29 April 2012

Rambly post about DLA renewal forms

As a disabled person, I spend a large amount of my time filling in forms, writing complaints, chasing up medical and social care professionals.  It feels like what little time I have left is overshadowed by the constant knowledge that the to-do list is getting longer and longer. 


At the moment I'm filling in DLA renewal forms.  They didn't send them to me so I had to call to ask for them...and they still didn't send them. Thankfully the form is the same as for initial claims so I managed to download it and am filling it out on my computer.

DLA forms require a lot of mental/cognitive energy - something I really don't feel like I have at the moment.  It also takes a hell of a lot of emotional energy. The forms can be quite distressing. In order to fill them in properly you need to spell out what care you get and what would happen if you didn't get it...something I don't particularly want to think about, especially as social services are messing me around so much they could take it away at any time.   The form also requires me to put down all of the care needs I have that are not covered by social services care provision. This is definitely not somethign I want to think about. I prefer to pretend dealing with the things I do is normal and it's upsetting having to think about how different my life is now + how often I have to deal with slightly gross stuff.



The forms are also stressful because although I know what I'm entitled to, no matter how well I fill the forms in, I can't guarantee I will get anything near what I'm entitled to.  Last time I was awarded a lower rate than I deserve (thus missing out on various financial premiums) because the fact I'd lifted my arms up once in a medical assessment for a completely different benefit apparently means I have no functional upper limb disability and can complete all self care independently...It could be worse too.  They could take all the money away, and trust me, being disabled is expensive business.


I'm also concerned about a gap in my benefits...can I live without the money whilst the renewal is being processed?

On the plus side, receiving DLA (even at a lower rate) has allowed me to pay off some of my debt meaning that when I doget DLA I'll now be able to use it for disability stuff without guilt.  Also, if I win my appeal in the autumn then the backpay will be pretty massive.....like my own little DWP savings account ;)



How do others deal with the emotional side of filling in these forms?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment